Modular homes are an increasingly popular housing option due to their cost-effectiveness, reduced build time, and versatility. Here at Green Valley Homes, we sell a new modular home every day and we’re proud to say our customers are thrilled with their new homes! If you’re looking at buying a modular home, this guide to buying a modular home is designed to help you navigate the buying process, from browsing floor plans to finalizing the purchase.
Guide to Buying a Modular Home
Modular homes, also known as prefabricated homes, are built in sections or modules in a factory. These sections are then transported to a home site and assembled on a permanent foundation. Modular homes must comply with state and local building codes, similar to traditional site-built homes. They offer a great deal of flexibility in design and layout and are typically of high quality due to the controlled factory conditions and adherence to strict building codes. Our modular homes are only sourced from the highest quality manufacturers in Ohio.
The Benefits of Modular Homes
Modular homes offer many advantages that span from their construction process to the customization options they offer. These benefits not only make modular homes a more cost-effective choice but also provide a level of flexibility and convenience that traditional, site-built homes often cannot match.
- Speed of Construction: Because most of the construction is completed off-site, weather delays are minimized, and the building process is faster.
- Quality Control: The factory-controlled setting allows for more precise construction, secure storage of materials, and reduces the chance of vandalism or weather damage during construction.
- Cost-Effective: In many cases, modular homes can be more affordable than site-built homes due to efficiencies in the building process.
- Energy Efficiency: Many modular homes are designed to be energy efficient, which can save homeowners on utility costs over time.
- Design Flexibility: Modular homes can be customized to a great degree, with options for different floor plans, finishes, and architectural styles.
Choosing Your Modular Home
The journey of choosing your dream modular home is an exciting one, filled with a world of possibilities. It’s a time when you can let your imagination run wild, envisioning the space where you’ll make memories, grow, and build your future. As you explore the vast array of options available, each decision you make, from the layout to the finishes, brings you one step closer to your ideal home.
- Determine Your Budget: This should be your first step. Go into the process knowing what you’re able to spend. Consider not only the cost of the home itself but also the land (if you don’t already own a plot), the cost of site work, taxes, and other expenses like utilities and landscaping.
- Choose Your Home Features: Consider what size and layout you want, how many bedrooms and bathrooms, the style of the kitchen, and other key features. Don’t forget to consider your future needs as well!
- Select a Manufacturer: Research the active manufacturers, read reviews, and check their certifications. Green Valley Homes only works with the best manufacturers in Ohio and can attest to their quality and craftsmanship.
- Choose a Dealer or Builder: You’ll need a local dealer or builder to handle the on-site construction of your modular home. They will coordinate the delivery and assembly of the home modules on your property and complete the finishing work. This is one of the many benefits of working with us – we take care of all of this for you!
Financing a Modular Home
An effective guide to buying a modular home wouldn’t be complete with discussing financing. Modular homes are typically financed with a construction loan during the building process, which is then converted into a mortgage once the home is completed. You’ll need to apply for this through a bank or mortgage lender. Green Valley agents can help you shop around for the best rates and terms, and walk you through the lending process from start to finish.
Home Site Preparation
While your home is being built in the factory, your site will need to be prepared. This can include clearing land, laying the foundation, and installing utilities. This will be managed by your builder and your Green Valley agent will guide you through this process, but it’s important for you to understand the process and costs involved.
Installation and Inspection
Once the modules are delivered to your site, they will be assembled on the foundation, a process that can often be completed in just a few days. Then, any additional site work will be finished, like connecting utilities and adding exterior features like porches or decks. Your home will need to be inspected by a local building official to ensure it meets all code requirements before you can move in.
Finalizing the Purchase
Once construction and inspections are completed, any final paperwork can be finished. This typically includes converting the construction loan into a mortgage, and transferring any necessary titles or deeds.
Congratulations! Once all the paperwork is completed, you can finally move into your new modular home. As with any home, you’ll need to set up your utilities, change your address, and carry out any necessary steps to make the house your home. This might include landscaping, painting, decorating, and setting up home services such as internet and cable.
Maintenance and Upkeep
Like any home, a modular home requires regular maintenance to keep it in good shape. This includes regular cleaning, seasonal upkeep like gutter cleaning and checking the roof, and regular checks of the plumbing and electrical systems. Regular maintenance can help you avoid costly repairs in the future and will help your home hold its value over time.
Ready to Buy a Modular Home?
The process of buying a modular home can be an exciting adventure! These homes offer flexibility, cost savings, and often a faster timeline than traditional site-built homes. With careful planning, research, and a clear understanding of what you want and need, you’ll be well on your way to owning a home that’s been designed and built just for you.
Remember, every buyer’s journey is unique, and there may be additional steps or considerations based on your personal circumstances, the local real estate market, and the specific rules and regulations in your area. Always consult with professionals like the Green Valley Home agents as needed throughout the home buying process.